What is being proposed?
Central Maine Healthcare (CMH) is proposing a new ambulatory surgery center (ASC), which will offer high-quality care in a low cost, more convenient, and safer setting than going to a hospital for the same procedure.
The Topsham ASC will be a free-standing facility offering procedures and outpatient surgery for services including: oncology, breast reconstruction, ear, nose and throat (ENT), gastro-intestinal, orthopedic, and urology. This further builds on the services offered at CMH’s Topsham Care Center and Maine Urgent Care.
Where will it be Located?
It will be located in the Topsham Fair Mall, near or adjacent to the Topsham Care Center and Maine Urgent Care, operated by CMH. The facility itself will be a modern 20,000 square foot building with state-of-the-art equipment, two operating rooms, and four procedure rooms.
What will be the benefits of having the Topsham ACS serving Midcoast Maine?
- Enhanced access to care – offering services locally so patients don’t have to drive to visit a hospital setting for a procedure.
- Lower cost options – offering services at non hospital based rates will cut costs. ASCs are on average half the cost of the same surgery in a hospital setting.
- Improved access and lower costs will mean that fewer patients will forego needed care.
- High Quality – ASCs have an infection rate that is six times lower than hospitals.
- Efficiency for Providers and Patients – ASCs are more efficient than hospital-based outpatient procedures, with the same procedures taking 25 percent less time.
- ASCs are a well-established, high-quality, convenient, and low cost option in the vast majority of other states. There are currently several ASCs operating successfully in Maine including in rural states such as New Hampshire, but none in the Midcoast area. There is clearly a need for a facility like this is this region.
What can you do to help?
Submit comments in support of this project to the Maine Department of Health and Human Services Health Oversight Program before the August 21, 2020, deadline or contact Chiara Beckner, Director, Service Line Strategy at email@example.com, 512-517-0364 (preferred) or 207-795-2703.