Bridgton Hospital’s Diabetes Clinic, A.A.D.E certified, will present its three-part Diabetes Self-Management classes beginning Monday, February 26. Pre-registration and pre-assessment is required for all of those attending. Call Linda Russell, RD, LD, CDE or Elaine Drew, RN, CDE, CFCN at 207-647-6064 to register.
The classes will be held on:
- Monday, February 26 from 1-4 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 27 from 1-4 p.m.
- Thursday, March 8 from 1-3 p.m.
These classes are designed to give general information about diabetes and help patients manage their diabetes. The course also introduces patients to a diabetes support system.
Over the three classes, participants will cover the following subjects:
- An overview of diabetes, complications, diabetic ketoacidosis, and hypoglycemia
- Diabetes process and treatment options
- Goal setting and problem solving
- Nutrition management: meal plans, carbohydrate counting, cooking tips, dining out guidelines
- Glucose monitoring and control
- Diabetic foot care
- Maternity care: preconception care, pregnancy, and gestational diabetes management
- Importance of daily exercise
- Psychosocial adjustment
- Diabetic eye care
The classes are covered by MaineCare, Medicare, and other insurance companies. Participants are encouraged to check coverage with their insurance provider prior to the class. A dietary consultation is required, and should be completed before the classes begin, call Linda Russell at 207-647-6062 to schedule. Participants are encouraged to bring a relative or friend with them. Following sign up, each attendee will receive the Your Diabetes Guidebook for use in the class. For more information about the program or to register call 207-647-6064.