Central Maine Medical Center (CMMC) has been named one of America’s Best Hospitals for Cancer Care by the Women’s Choice Award®.
To be considered for the award, a hospital must meet certain criteria, including:
1. Designation by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer Classification (ACS CoC) as one of four types of cancer programs:
- NCI (National Designated Comprehensive Cancer Program)
- Comprehensive Community Cancer Program
- Integrated Network Cancer Program (with over 200 beds)
- Academic Comprehensive Cancer Program
2. Treating over 500 cases per year.
3. High rankings on the presence of specific cancer-related services and low infection rates.
4. Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) recommendation rating above the national average.
Only 453 hospitals, or nine percent, out of more than 4,800 nationwide that reported any of the cancer care clinical measurements met all four criteria.
“It’s an honor to be recognized by Women’s Choice Award® for our cancer care. The award is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our providers and staff who take great pride in providing high-quality, personalized care for our patients in Lewiston, Auburn, and the surrounding areas,” said Dr. Nicholette Erickson, Medical Director of Oncology.
As a Commission on Cancer (CoC) accredited Comprehensive Community Cancer Program, CMMC sees over 900 new cancer diagnoses every year, with lung and breast cancers being the most common. An affiliate of Massachusetts General Hospital, CMMC provides residents in central, western and mid-coast Maine access to the most advanced cancer care and expertise. In addition to a full range of treatment options, Central Maine Healthcare patients have access to support services including nurse navigators, licensed clinical social workers, and oncology financial counselors, to assist them throughout their cancer journey. In addition, the center also participates in the American Society of Clinical Oncologists’ Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) to continuously improve its outpatient oncology care.
For more information about the Women’s Choice Award® America’s Best Hospitals for Cancer Care, please visit https://www.womenschoiceaward.com/awarded/healthcare/.