About Wilderness & International Medicine Program
The Central Maine Medical Center Family Medicine Residency offers a Wilderness Medicine Track program (WIMP). The goals of the program include:
- Educating residents about the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of injuries and illness occurring in the wilderness and other remote settings.
- Teaching residents the skills needed to become medical advisors for outdoor organizations, including search and rescue teams, outdoor education groups and international expeditions.
- Allowing residents to develop skills in research and writing in the field of wilderness medicine.
- Promoting teaching skills so that residents can become future educators in wilderness medicine.
- Providing local organizations with valuable medical resources through service learning opportunities.