Finding out you need surgery can be a stressful time for you and your loved ones. But you’ll find peace of mind with the skilled and compassionate surgical team at Central Maine Medical Center.
As a leading referral center, we provide the widest range of surgical options in the region, performing hundreds of procedures each year across medical specialties. We also offer convenient medical imaging and laboratory services right on-site, plus a same-day surgery unit to help many of our patients get home faster.
At every step, you’ll can expect the same high-quality services of a major academic medical center, with the highly personalized care that could only come from your community hospital.
In Bridgton or Rumford? Our surgeons will come see you close to home. Learn more about the comprehensive surgical services available throughout our integrated health system.
Full Range of Surgical Services
Central Maine Medical Center is home to several nationally recognized institutes, where our surgeons perform all types of common and complex procedures. Just a few of our specialties include:
- General surgery, including hernia repair, appendectomies, gallbladder removal, colon surgery, gastrointestinal procedures and many more
- Heart and vascular surgery at the Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute, including the groundbreaking TAVR procedure and other minimally invasive heart valve repair and replacement options
- Orthopaedic surgery at the Orthopaedic Institute of Central Maine
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery to help you look and feel your best
- Trauma surgery at our Trauma Center for severe injuries and burns
- Weight loss (bariatric) surgery, including the latest techniques in gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery
Same-Day Surgery: More Healing at Home
With specialized training in minimally techniques and technology, our surgeons can perform many procedures on an outpatient basis, allowing you to leave the hospital shortly after surgery. CMMC has a same-day surgery unit right on campus to accommodate these procedures.
A week to 10 days before surgery, one of our pre-admission nurses will meet with you for any necessary tests and a detailed walkthrough of what to expect. Once in the unit, you’ll be prepared for surgery much like a conventional procedure patient, then transferred to the Surgical Services Department for the procedure. After surgery, we’ll closely monitor you in our post-anesthesia care unit until you’re ready to go home, and provide the education and support you need for self-care.
Dedicated Critical Care Unit
Central Maine Medical Center’s surgical services program is enhanced by its critical care unit, providing specialized care and some of the best medical tools available to treat seriously ill or injured patients.
Critical care consists of two separate but linked nursing units. The intensive care unit (ICU) provides care for patients with a wide range of health issues. Nearby is the cardiac care unit, which primarily serves patients recovering from a heart attack or other cardiac issues. A major focus of the critical care unit is assisting surgical patients, particularly trauma patients, who have had extensive procedures following an accident.