A Community of Nurses Changing Health Care
At Central Maine Healthcare, our nurses are more than a team of skilled, dedicated professionals. We are also a close-knit community of friends and neighbors who support each other in the pursuit of a common goal: providing exceptional, evidence-based care that puts patients at the center of everything we do.
Ours is a diverse community of nurses with a wide range of degrees, specialty training and certifications, and that diversity is our strength. We use each nurse’s unique skills and talents to achieve our vision of a team of passionate, professional nurses providing high-quality, holistic care that matters to our patients. We foster a safe patient- and family-centered experience that is open and responsive to the communities we serve.
As nurses, caring for patients in times of illness or injury is only part of our role. We’re also educators and advocates. We provide education to empower people to achieve their health and wellness goals, and we champion their efforts by providing support, guidance and connections to helpful resources. Our philosophy reflects the marriage of art and science in the multidimensional role nurses play at CMH: We, as a nursing community, assure professional excellence by evolving the creative art and science of nursing. Patients are treated as if they are members of our own families, focusing on dignity, respect and what matters to them.
Our Core Values
We foster a respectful, supportive environment in which every nurse feels empowered to achieve his or her personal and professional best. Our nursing community embraces:
- Accountability. As members of a team, our strength comes from each other. That’s why each of us is accountable to our colleagues to uphold our values and provide high-quality care every day.
- Efficiency. Every member of our community has a clear understanding of his or her responsibilities and receives the necessary resources, training and support to fulfill them.
- Evidence-based best practices. We follow protocols and care strategies that are grounded in the latest science and have demonstrated effectiveness.
- Holistic care. We promote health in body, mind and spirit.
- Mutual support. Ours is a team where nurses can rely on each other for assistance. We look out for each other and build each other up.
- Shared clinical decision-making. In many cases, our nurses spend more time than other members of the care team with patients, which is why their input is essential when crafting plans of care.
- Self-improvement. We encourage our nurses to be lifelong learners and support their participation in continuing education. We conduct regular performance improvement evaluations to ensure the members of our community always adhere to the highest standards of quality and safety.