There was a time when hip replacement surgery meant spending a week or more in the hospital, followed by a lengthy and sometimes difficult recovery. At Central Maine Healthcare, we offer the latest, most minimally invasive techniques to help you get back much faster to your active lifestyle.
One of our board-certified orthopaedic surgeons can help determine if hip replacement or another treatment is right for you. If so, you can count on the highest standards of care close to home, with a program that has earned the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval®, among other national distinctions.
You can also see every step of the process by watching our hip replacement videos.
Anterior Hip: Get Moving Again Sooner
Older hip replacement methods required large incisions and detaching key muscles and tendons, resulting in more trauma. Central Maine surgeons specialize in newer techniques like the direct anterior approach, allowing them to reach the hip from the front side, so the joint can be replaced without damaging nearby muscles or tendons.
For you, that may offer a variety of benefits, including:
- Less pain: The post-operative experience is usually much easier.
- Less scarring: The surgery requires just a single, relatively small incision.
- Fewer restrictions: Most patients have significantly greater mobility and range of motion immediately following surgery and can bear full weight when it feels comfortable. It is not uncommon for people to begin their recovery exercises within a few days of the procedure.
- Shorter hospital stay: You may even be able to go home the same day as surgery.
- Quicker recovery: Most patients recover and return to full function faster than traditional hip replacement.
- Decreased risk of dislocation: A common concern for hip replacements is that the new ball and socket will fall out of place. Because the anterior hip technique does not bother surrounding tissue, you’re much less likely to experience dislocation or other complications.
Anterior approach isn’t right for everyone. Your surgeon will work closely with you to find the best option, which may include the posterior approach. This technique is performed with a single incision on the back side of your hip, and which has proven to produce excellent outcomes.
Support for Every Step
We know hip replacement surgery can feel daunting, but we make the experience as easy as possible. Every step of your journey is highly coordinated using our Core Connect Care™ approach, starting with a pre-operative class so you can feel confident and prepared.
After surgery, you’ll recover in one of our dedicated orthopaedic inpatient rooms, where one of our skilled physical therapists will help you get up and moving. We’ll continue to monitor your progress once you’re home to ensure you’re pain free and moving with ease.
Orthopaedic Excellence, Close to Home
The Orthopaedic Institute of Central Maine offers locations near where you live and work – so you never had to travel far to find the world-class care you need:
- Central Maine Medical Center – Lewiston, Maine
- Bridgton Hospital – Bridgton, Maine
- Rumford Hospital – Rumford, Maine