Central Maine Bariatric Surgery can help you achieve the tomorrow you’ve only imagined. We define success not only by the amount of weight our patients lose, but also by improvements in their quality of life.
Our comprehensive program features:
- Experienced board certified surgeons affiliated with the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- A multi-disciplinary team, including specialty trained physicians, skilled physician assistants, surgical assistants, dietitians, nurses, and behavioral health specialist
- Bariatric procedures using state-of-the-art laparoscopic techniques resulting in fewer complications and faster recovery
Our team is devoted solely to the practice of bariatric surgery and weight loss management, ensuring our focus on state-of-the-art service.
Our dietitian, behavioral health specialist, and bariatric nurse coordinator will support your personal efforts preparing you for surgery. Your program will be personalized to you from your first visit through post procedure follow-up care. You’ll have guidance through each step along the way by our dedicated bariatric nurse coordinator.
Our program works closely with you and your insurance payer to determine if you have coverage for bariatric surgery.
Central Maine Bariatric Surgery was established in 2007. Since 2012, our program has been accredited through The American College of Surgeons as a Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®).
The American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) combined their respective national bariatric surgery accreditation programs into a single unified program to achieve one national accreditation standard for bariatric surgery centers, the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®).
MBSAQIP works to advance safe, high-quality care for bariatric surgical patients through the accreditation of bariatric surgical centers. A bariatric surgical center achieves accreditation following a rigorous review process during which it proves that it can maintain certain physical resources, human resources, and standards of practice. All accredited centers report their outcomes to the MBSAQIP database.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has recognized Central Maine Medical Center and allows expanded Medicare coverage of bariatric weight loss surgery for beneficiaries of all ages who have been diagnosed with other health problems associated with obesity. Medicare coverage has been limited to procedures performed in facilities certified by the American College of Surgeons or the American Society of Bariatric Surgery.
Preferred Status with Insurance Payers
Central Maine Bariatric Surgery has a preferred status as a center of excellence with the following insurance payers:
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Center of Excellence
- Aetna Bariatric Institute of Quality
- Cigna Certified Hospital for Bariatric Surgery
- Optum Heath Bariatric Center of Excellence (United Health Care)
- Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery and Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, an independent licensee of Blue Cross Blue Shield Association
- State of Maine Center of Excellence: State of Maine Employees are 100% covered for Bariatric Surgery through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield