Central Maine Bariatric Surgery is committed to helping you achieve your weight loss goals and improve your medical health and quality of life.
Our surgeons are fellowship trained and have extensive training in bariatric surgery, gastrointestinal surgery, robotic and advanced laparoscopic techniques. Our hospital is prepared to take care of morbidly obese patients with specialized equipment. We have 24 hour in-house surgeon coverage of all of our patients.
Our comprehensive program features:
- Experienced board certified surgeons affiliated with the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- A multi-disciplinary team, including specialty trained physicians, skilled physician assistants, dietitians, nurses, and behavioral health specialists
- Bariatric procedures using state-of-the-art robotic and laparoscopic techniques resulting in fewer complications and faster recovery
Our team is devoted to the practice of bariatric surgery and weight loss management, ensuring our focus on state-of-the-art service.
Our dietitians, behavioral health specialist, and bariatric nurse coordinator will support your personal efforts preparing you for surgery. Your program will be personalized to you from your first visit through post procedure follow-up care. You’ll have guidance through each step along the way by our dedicated bariatric nurse coordinator.
Our program works closely with you and your insurance payer to determine your bariatric surgery coverage. You will be required to participate in medically supervised weight loss with our dieticians. The program can take up to eight months before surgery depending on insurance requirements.
Central Maine Bariatric Surgery was established in 2007. Since 2012, our program has been accredited through The American College of Surgeons as a Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®).
The American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) combined their respective national bariatric surgery accreditation programs into a single unified program to achieve one national accreditation standard for bariatric surgery centers, the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®).
MBSAQIP works to advance safe, high-quality care for bariatric surgical patients through the accreditation of bariatric surgical centers. A bariatric surgical center achieves accreditation following a rigorous review process during which it proves that it can maintain certain physical resources, human resources, and standards of practice. All accredited centers report their outcomes to the MBSAQIP database.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has recognized Central Maine Medical Center and allows expanded Medicare coverage of bariatric weight loss surgery for beneficiaries of all ages who have been diagnosed with other health problems associated with obesity. Medicare coverage has been limited to procedures performed in facilities certified by the American College of Surgeons or the American Society of Bariatric Surgery.
Preferred Status with Insurance Payers
Central Maine Bariatric Surgery has a preferred status as a center of excellence with the following insurance payers:
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Center of Excellence
- Aetna Bariatric Institute of Quality
- Cigna Certified Hospital for Bariatric Surgery
- Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery and Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, an independent licensee of Blue Cross Blue Shield Association