When you get a cancer diagnosis the last thing you need is to worry about money. Controlling your stress level will be important to managing your illness, and the financial counselors at Central Maine are here to help you figure out how you’ll pay your bills, when you can return to work and other issues that can affect your recovery.
How a Financial Counselor Can Help You
Whether you’re a high-earning CEO or work for minimum wage, you can benefit from talking with a financial counselor. The costs of being treated for a serious illness soar higher every year, and a financial counselor can point you to resources or plans you may not be aware of.
- The counselor will review your insurance policies and explain anything you don’t understand about your coverage and how it works.
- Financial counselors know the financial aid landscape and can tell you what’s available to you, including nonprofit and public funding, and how to apply for it.
- You may be eligible for separate help for medications, including discounts from manufacturers.
- If you’re depending on costly transportation to medical appointments, a financial counselor can suggest options to help you out.
- Your financial counselor will review your treatment plan and tell you what to expect regarding costs and options for paying those bills.
- There’s a phrase for the financial stress that often accompanies a cancer diagnosis: financial toxicity—money pressure that actually aggravates your sickness. Your counselor will guide you through every financial concern and make sure you’re never so overwhelmed with money issues that your anxiety gets in the way of your recovery.
Your Counselor Can Help with Billing Issues, Too
Does anyone really understand their hospital and other medical bills? The financial counselor can help you manage your bills.
Money or Not, Trust Your Recovery to Us
Central Maine is committed to treating every person who needs medical care, regardless of your illness or your ability to pay for treatment.
If your income is below Maine Free Care income levels, you can be treated free of charge at Central Maine Medical Center, Bridgton Hospital or Rumford Hospital.
If you have questions about your medical bills or finances, call 888-869-3101.