Central Maine Medical Center’s Comprehensive Wound Center is a centralized location for all aspects of wound care. Our team of specialists provides thorough examinations, treatments, follow-up care and patient education for at-home wound care in between visits. We offer cost-effective, advanced therapies to help ensure all patients can afford to meet their treatment goals for healing.
Types of Wounds We Treat
The CMMC Comprehensive Wound Center offers evaluation and treatment for most non-healing wounds. Some of these include:
- Arterial ulcers
- Diabetic ulcers
- Venous ulcers
Physicians at CMMC also collaborate with other specialists who care for conditions associated with acute or chronic wounds, including:
- Ostomy and stoma
Wound Care Services and Treatments
Your healthcare provider will work closely with you to develop an effective treatment plan for a non-healing wound or other health condition. Your provider may recommend one of the following treatments:
- Compression therapy. Compression stockings or bandages can be used to help a wound heal faster by promoting healthy blood flow. Patients with venous ulcers and lymphedema benefit from compression therapy.
- Debridement. This procedure removes dead or inflamed tissue from a wound so it can heal. We offer ultrasonic therapy for debridement, a technology that breaks down damaged tissue while stimulating healing.
- Negative pressure wound therapy. This type of treatment, also called vacuum-assisted closure therapy, provides a wound with the blood flow and moisture necessary for healing. Negative pressure wound therapy is beneficial for patients with large open wounds and diabetic ulcers.
- Skin substitutes. A bioengineered skin substitute is used to help the wound close and accelerate skin healing. Patients with extensive skin loss or burns may benefit from this advanced treatment.
- Total contact casting. A total contact cast is used to treat diabetic ulcers. The cast keeps weight off of the ulcer to help it heal faster.
Why Choose CMMC for Wound Care?
The CMMC Comprehensive Wound Center has a highly trained team of wound care specialists, which includes nurses certified by the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Certification Board.
The Wound Care Center offers a multidisciplinary approach to care. As a result, our wound care experts partner with experts in other fields, such as infectious disease, vascular surgery, plastic surgery and oncology, to ensure that each patient receives the right type of care for his or her specific injury. This collaborative care means that patients not only have access to advanced care for their non-healing wounds, but they also can learn more about the underlying causes and learn to take steps to prevent future wounds.
60 High Street, 2nd Floor
Lewiston, ME 04240
Office Hours: 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Office Phone: 207-795-2886
Office Fax: : 207-795-8280