The goal of lung cancer screening is to save lives. Central Maine Healthcare wants to make it as easy as possible for anyone in our community who is at high risk for the disease to be screened. The test takes only 10 minutes and is covered by most insurance. And if you are uninsured, we can offer a reduced rate. It’s a small price to pay to catch this disease before it becomes deadly.
Please contact our Lung Navigator at 207-753-3954 to learn more about lung cancer screening. Or find a lung specialist anytime online.
Why Lung Cancer Screening?
With lung cancer, symptoms usually don’t appear until the disease has advanced, which is why a screening is so important for high-risk patients. Central Maine Healthcare offers low-dose CT scans, a groundbreaking new tool that can catch lung cancer before symptoms show. During this simple test, an X-ray machine scans the body, using low doses of radiation to make detailed pictures of the lung. It’s safe, painless and has proven to reduce the risk of lung cancer death by up to 20%.
Are You at High Risk for Lung Cancer?
Low-dose CT lung scans are recommended for the following groups of people who are at high risk for lung cancer:
- People ages 50−80
- Who have at least a 20-pack-per-year smoking history
- People who still smoke or have quit within the past 15 years
What is Low-Dose CT Scanning?
During this simple test, an X-ray machine scans the entire body, using low doses of radiation to make detailed pictures of the lung. This allows our doctors to detect even the smallest tumors, and offers a variety of benefits for patients at high-risk of lung cancer:
- Effective: Studies show that low-dose CT is four times more likely to pick up a mass than a traditional chest X-ray. It has also proven to be at least as effective as mammography and colonoscopy screenings in saving lives.
- Safe: CT scanning for lung cancer uses up to 90% less radiation than a conventional chest CT scan.
- Painless: It’s non-invasive and only takes a few minutes to complete.
- Convenient: CT scans are offered at our three locations: Central Maine Medical Center, Bridgton Hospital and Rumford Hospital.
If we find anything abnormal, our dedicated team will arrange follow-up testing and, if needed, work closely with you to create a personalized cancer treatment plan to help return you to good health.
Care You Can Trust
The CMMC Lung Cancer Screening Center is one of only seven hospitals in the state of Maine to be officially designated as a Lung Cancer Screening Center. So you can be confident your lung cancer screening will be safe and effective.